Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Can you believe that today marks 12 years since David and I went on our first date? Amazing. I'm still shocked he asked me out for a first date on such a romantic-pressured holiday like Valentine's Day. I'm glad he did though! Let me take you back....

David and I met at Samford in our Drama Appreciation class. It was my sophomore year and his senior year. We had to take 2 "appreciation" classes (i.e., drama, art and music) as part of our required curriculum. My first memory of David is of him coming to class with a new haircut. He had previously rocked the Florida-boy-surfer/skateboarder butt-cut and had changed it to a Chris O'Donnell/George Clooney style. While I thought he had made an excellent choice, I did not give him much more thought after that...until, as David puts it, he "put out the vibe" several months later.

We had mutual friends and soon began eating weekly dinners together and attending our required drama appreciation plays together. I was beginning to get more interested in him and started taking my flirting up a notch. He didn't notice. He thought I was just being nice. I thought I was being REALLY nice.

Christmas break came and went and when I returned in January for the spring semester, I was out on the prowl for David Hartley. I proceeded to "coincidentally" sit next to him at basketball games and "bump" into him in the food court. Still David was clueless. Finally, one of our mutual friends told David I liked him (in a grade-school type fashion) and suggested he ask me out. Which he did soon after. FINALLY, he got the hint! We went to the now-shut-down Tia's tex mex restaurant by the galleria, where David playfully threw a bell pepper in my lap. (You'll have to ask him about that later.) And then we attended the Birmingham Bull's game (a now-no-longer-in-existence minor league hockey team) where several couples got married out on the ice. Romantic, I know. :) I guess you could pretty much say we will never be able to re-create our first date!

So that's our history and what leads us to today. We celebrated last night (less crowds) at one of our favorite restaurants, Brio. Of course, we took Tate too because he is also our valentine. And this morning we all three opened cards and sweet David gave me a bouquet of red tulips. I cannot express to you how blessed I am with such a giving husband. I often say that I do not deserve him because he is too good to me. And now I have an amazing baby boy to raise with him. Life is good.

So Happy Valentine's Day, baby. I love you to pieces. And Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Define "REALLY nice".

Also, I'm glad to see that stalking David during college and apparently flashing some leg (or whatever "REALLY nice" mean) worked out for you guys in the end.

I like hearing stories of how our friends met!

Carolyn said...

Ha ha...I always knew Mandy was the one making the moves.

We're in the same boat. First met at the now closed location of Barnes and Noble (pet store), and had our first date at Grady's at the Galleria (California Pizza Kitchen). We'll just have to create new memories at better places =)